Sunday, January 11, 2009

Australia!

A few nights ago, Andrew & I treated ourselves to a night out at the movies. We decided on "Australia" I thought I'd get myself in a patriotic mood before Australia Day later this month. And although the movie was close on three hours long, the time didn't drag and I thought it very well done. Some of the scenery up there in the Northern Territory where it was filmed is breath-taking. The cast was great. Both Nicole Kidman & Hugh Jackman did a wonderful job, but the gorgeous little boy almost stole the show. I forget the name of the boy who acted him. I had tears streaming down my cheeks, as I often do in emotional movies. The reunions at the end, when the family re-discovered each other after thinking their loved ones had died, ahhh!

The movie handled the subject of the Stolen Generations with sensitivity. Although the little boy, Nullah, escaped from this fate, the threat was always there throughout the story. For those who aren't familiar with Australian history, the Stolen Generations is the term used for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island children who were removed from their parents by the state & church authorities, who believed it was in the children's own best interest. This mostly took place between the years 1869 and 1969, causing an untold number of families unimaginable pain and heartache.

Early last year, our Prime Minister Kevin Rudd made a formal apology to the victims of the Stolen Generations, which was televised across Australia. It was quite moving to hear him say, "I'm sorry" several times. I know that some fellow Australians have criticised his decision. Our former Prime Ministers had always refused to take the step, probably buying into the general opinion, "It wasn't our fault! It was an unfortunate state of affairs, but we personally weren't responsible for removing these children so why should we apologise? It won't undo the damage anyway." However, I'm among those who believe that things such as inherited culpability and generational curses shouldn't be scoffed at. They are Biblically based and no less true because of their low-key, spiritual nature, and unpopularity in the opinions of secular statesmen.

I for one was excited by the action Mr Rudd took. I believe that acknowledging the culpability of our white settler ancestors may help to cleanse our beautiful country from any shame which may have been holding back our prosperity in any way. I'm looking forward to seeing the future of our nation in the light of this.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this film. I have been wanting to see it, and just haven't gotten around to it. IT's nice to hear a "real" Austrailian's thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you wrote this. I had no idea about the stolen generations. I agree with you about the PM! That took quite a step for him to do. I'm proud of him.

    Even though it wasn't his fault -- it should open the door for healing. You're right - the future should be interesting!!

    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savanah and I saw this movie and thought is was a cinematic beauty. We of course had no idea of the perils your country had gone through. So we were very enlightened to say the least.

    Again, I recommend this film to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the movie myself but living in country WA I've heard a heap through the News as part of it was filmed in our Kimberley region as well as NT. And the little boy is from Broome, up north.

    I agree that it's a good step for the future after our Kevin said "sorry". Spiritually it would make a huge difference. I wonder if any statistics will reflect that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of that part of your history before. Saying "I'm sorry" is never a bad thing to do and in this case I think it was a good thing to do. I would love to see that movie. And I am sure that I would cry. The boys say I cry during EVERY movie I watch. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to your blog and found it via Call Me Kate, a mutual blog friend. (It's wonderful to become friends with folks you've never met!)

    Besides becoming interested in your novels, I think my fifteen-year-old daughter is even more interested in how you got your life as a writer off of the ground. She's been writing fiction books for a couple years now and would like to pursue it as an occupation as well as have a family when she's older. And, especially as a fellow Christian and home-schooling mom, you have become an inspiration to her! Thank you!

    Warmly,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete