Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sixteen good years

Last Friday night we celebrated our wedding anniversary. Yes, on May 9th, 1992, Andrew and I tied the knot. Sixteen years sounds like such a long, long time to everybody, until everybody remembers that Logan is now thirteen, which puts things into perspective. Time is a funny thing. One single day or week can feel like an eternity while a decade can feel like a flash. Although 1992 doesn't seem all that long ago, things have certainly changed since then.

Last Friday night the kids spent some time with my in-laws while Andrew and I enjoyed ourselves locally. We had dinner and then saw a movie at the Wallis Cinema complex. They are both part of the same place so we bought a "Meal Deal." The movie we chose was "Smother" which I really enjoyed. Although it's not normally Andrew's style, he doesn't mind the occasional romance/drama.

One of my biggest mistakes perhaps was setting my wedding date so close to Mother's Day. I clearly remember thinking, "It just has to be fairly early in May, otherwise winter will set in and then we won't be able to get married until September or October and that'll be terrible!" If some wise person had reminded me that I was going to be married to Andrew for ever after so a few months wouldn't have made all that much difference anyway, I would've been aghast. So I tend not to give young people in their teens and early twenties that sort of advice.

The reason why it might've been a mistake is because I already have my birthday and Christmas sandwiched together on December 24th and 25th, and I didn't have any control over that one. Now May 9th is always only a day or two away from Mother's Day and I'm the one who set that one up. So now I feel as if there are only two little blocks of time in the year for me to celebrate special occasions while many other women have 4 separate ones, and then I do feel a little bit jipped sometimes. But forgive my grumbling. When I think about it, this is not such a bad problem to have.

6 comments:

  1. I was thinking, how nice to be married in May just as spring starts, until I realized of course that it's only spring here. duh.
    I know what you mean about it seeming like a long time. I look back on when Bill and I got married (1995) and it seems like a whole lifetime ago. I guess it was- look at all that has been accomplished since then!

    Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!
    As someone who has a lot of events lumped together in May, I completely understand! You start feeling like you're caught up in a whirlwind and you get dumped out at the end of the month, slightly bedraggled. :o)

    And June isn't any better with my husband's birthday so close to Father's Day.

    Peace and Laughter!
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a great understanding comment all typed up. And blogger ate it.
    *sigh*

    I hope you do get blessed later on in the year. I think it's important to have those no-particular reason type of moments. :-)

    Happy Anniversary! May this year be the best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! We too have many Bdays and other holidays all lumped together. Not always alot of individual celebration, but we sure have LOTS to celebrate during those times!!
    Blessings
    Tara B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! How nice of you to get married the day after I turned 29! That seems a lifetime ago to me - we had only been married 3-1/2 years and had only been in Oregon less than a year. I was a completely different person back then.

    Of course, I go through the same issue each year, too, with my birthday being so close to Mom's day.

    I'm glad you and Andrew had a nice "date" night to celebrate. Do you ever suddenly look at your husband and wonder "Have I REALLY been married that long?" It does go by quickly but then I realize how much we've grown and changed in 20 years (as of Aug. 6 this year). I've known Todd nearly half of my lifetime - to me, that is amazing.

    May the Lord give you many, many more happy years together.

    God bless,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! Isn't it strange how time goes by? We were married in the fall of '92, too (but in October). :o) Wow, we've done a whole lot since then!

    ReplyDelete