Monday, October 22, 2007

A smashing experience

One day last week, when I'd just gone into my bedroom to look up some Bible study notes for the kids' lessons, I heard an incredible shattering din! Then bedlam broke loose. There was all sorts of shouting and carrying on. I dashed out with my heart in my throat and the first thing I noticed was that their three heads all seemed to be safe and sound. I breathed easier straight away before I even knew what had happened, because when it's all said and done, that's the important thing.

It seems Logan had just got up from the computer and as he was walking away, his foot got caught around the leg of his chair. The chair went tumbling over and the back of it crashed into the window pane behind the table, smashing the glass. It did a thorough job. There was an incredibly jagged, gaping hole.

Logan was so upset and remorseful about this. He rushed off to his bedroom to grab his money tin, offering to pay for the damage. "I'm so stupid, I'm such a dork, I can't do anything right." Then he thumped a kitchen cupboard and a little plaque that says, "Come to me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest" fell off, almost hitting him on the head. That was the finish of his self-control. "I'd better just sit down and not move. I'm a walking disaster zone!"

I think I handled the situation fairly calmly, telling him that that accident was just one of those things that happens to everyone at certain times in their lives, and it'd be a simple matter for Dad to repair the window. And in a couple days, he did. For two nights we put a bit of plywood over the hole, which didn't manage to keep all the breeze out so it's good that we're having some hot, early summer style days. Now the new pane makes all the others look as if they need a good clean, and washing windows isn't one of my favourite activities!

The thing that struck me over the whole episode was that kids choose such odd things to feel guilty and terrible about. Whenever Logan teases his sister to the point of tears (which isn't hard to do), he hardly ever shows a shred of remorse for that! And that's a far more intentional, culpable action than accidentally breaking a window in my opinion. I think I even told him that, and he gave a sort of smirk, so I wonder if it sunk in.

4 comments:

  1. Now I want to focus a moment on the plaque that almost fell on his head when he was beating himself up about his accident. Did you hear God talking in that moment? Logan had such a heavy burden (breaking the window) that God felt the need to try to hit him over the head with his message, "Let Me have your troubles now, you rest."
    I love it!
    Peace and Laughter,
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes. My firstborn son is also 12. And I have witnessed this EXACT same type of attitude. Hardly feels badly when yelled at for upsetting his siblings. But if he does something wrong, he starts saying he's an idiot or that I'm thinking he's an idiot. It's a surprise when he says these things and after hearing your story, I'm starting to understand. It must be a growing up issue. Unsure of themselves, or whatever. Do you know what I mean? I try to praise my son when he takes proper responsibility and I try not to nag him so much (that's a hard one!) And when he's being overly critical of himself, I try not to add to his misery. He's already punishing himself. If I can, I try to encourage him in what he DOES do right, while gently pointing out what went wrong or whatever. It's so hard to keep up with each of my kids current emotional age. Whew!

    I'm glad no one was injured. I know what you mean about looking for blood right away.

    Did you remember to get the Bible study notes or did that get forgotten? Just thought I'd ask?

    Have a terrific week - with no more broken glass!
    Kate

    P.S. Thanks for the comment - that's definitely something to consider. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad no one was hurt.

    I can't believe that we have never had that happen in our house.

    I probably shouldn't have said that, huh? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, Logan sounds so much like my Caylee. We currently have a broken window from her dancing around a corner, slipping, then grabbing a mouse's feeding dish for support! Needless to say, the feeding dish ended up being flung through the window. I heard a loud crash and then this 17yo came running into me holding her head asking if she was bleeding! I thought she had put her head through the window. It took me awhile to get out the story that it was only the little feeding dish. Her head had hit the floor.

    And to think she'll be driving a firetruck to rescue people....

    ReplyDelete